RACQ CapRescue Faced with a Monster Weekend

Leading into the Christmas break, the CapRescue crew found themselves rushed off their feet after responding to numerous accidents over the course of just three days – all hoping that the increased weekend rescues were not an indication of what was to come as Central Queenslanders headed out and about enjoying their end of year break.

It was early Friday evening when RACQ CapRescue was tasked by Queensland Health to attend a single vehicle rollover on South Yaamba Road, approximately 25kms north-east of Rockhampton. The 22 year old driver of a 4wd utility and sole passenger were heading north when the accident occurred. It was reported that the driver lost control of the vehicle causing it to veer off the road and hit a tree before rolling and eventually coming to rest on its wheels.

The driver was reportedly found extricated from the vehicle and lying on the ground when Queensland Ambulance Service officials arrived on scene. The Rescue300 Critical Care Paramedic also arrived by road and initially assisted QAS in stabilising the patient for head injuries and lower limb fractures.

A short time later, Rescue300 landed on scene with the on-board flight doctor who assisted QAS and the Critical Care Paramedic in further stabilising the patient for air transport to Rockhampton Base Hospital in a serious condition.

On Saturday afternoon, RACQ CapRescue was tasked to Great Keppel Island after reports a 12 year old girl had been stung by a marine stinger. After touching down on the island, the on-board medical team attended to the patient, treating her for the suspected sting injury.

Later that evening, Rescue300 was tasked by the Queensland Police Service to conduct an aerial search between Yeppoon and the Farnborough beach area for an overdue recreational Hang Glider pilot.

With the help of night vision goggles, an overland night search along the coastline was carried out by our crew to try and locate the Hang Glider and missing pilot. Fortunately, he was found uninjured by ground emergency services also involved in the search.

On Sunday afternoon a patient at Woorabinda Hospital was airlifted to Rockhampton when their condition suddenly worsened. They were flown to Rocky in a stable condition.

Following its return to base, the Rescue300 helicopter was tasked to the scene of a head on collision involving two vehicles on the Bruce Highway at Marlborough. Three occupants of one vehicle were treated for minor injuries and the sole occupant of the second vehicle was treated for suspected spinal injuries by ground crews at the scene. All four patients were then transported to the Marlborough Helicopter Landing Site where they were met by the RACQ CapRescue crew.

The Rescue300 Critical Care Paramedic and on-board flight doctor assessed and treated the driver of the second vehicle for suspected neck, back and pelvic injuries before airlifting them to Rockhampton Base Hospital in a stable condition. The three patients from the other vehicle were transported by road ambulance to Rockhampton with minor injuries.